Blog Archive

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Welcome

Welcome to my blog, "The Great American Rail Adventure." I'm going to be circumnavigating the United States by rail on Amtrak.

Here's the route for my trip: Travel by train from Chicago to Seattle and then to Portland, Sacramento, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Washington, D.C., New York City, Providence, Boston and Albany, and then back to Chicago. I'll be spending a little time in all of those places, doing a few side trips along the way, and visiting friends and relatives.

I've found that a lot of people are interested in train travel. When I tell people about my trip, common reactions are: "That sounds great!" "I've always wanted to do a trip like that." "I took a train trip once and I loved it." "How do you plan a trip like that?"

Because people are interested, I decided to do a blog. I'll cover topics such as:
  • Why travel by train?
  • What are the logistics?  What are the dining cars and sleeping cars like?
  • Who travels by train?  What are the other passengers like?
  • Where can you go?  What are the most scenic runs?
  • The history of railroads in the United States, and their important role in the development of the country.
I'll do periodic posts during the trip. I hope you find it interesting.


Lake Shore Limited at Chicago Union Station 

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading your posts, "Choo Choo" Chandler! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete

Background: Train Travel is Enjoyable and Relaxing

Trains may be the most enjoyable way to travel. Train travel is a great way to connect with people, places and the history of the country. ...