Blog Archive

Friday, May 31, 2019

Day 25: Final Leg - Chicago to Columbus, Wisconsin

The final leg of my trip took me from Chicago through Milwaukee to Columbus, Wisconsin, the Amtrak stop closest to Madison. I was on one of my favorite trains, the Empire Builder, actually repeating the first three hours of the trip. 

I enjoyed walking through the Chicago Loop at midday, with the cityscape dominated by skyscrapers and the Chicago River, and filled in with workers eating lunch and hurrying to their offices, the Elevated trains screeching overhead, and yellow cabs sounding their horns.

Then it was time for the train ride north through city neighborhoods and green suburbs, past factories and office parks, and into Milwaukee. From there a quick ride past lakes, farms, rivers and wetlands took me to Columbus, where our daughter picked me up for a ride home dominated by train stories.

It was a great trip, but it's always good to be home.

Midday at Federal Plaza in the Chicago Loop,
with sculpture by Alexander Calder and
buildings by Mies van der Rohe
The Third Ward on the Milwaukee River
just south of downtown Milwaukee,
where warehouses have been converted
to offices, stores and condos
Pewaukee Lake, west of Milwaukee
The Empire Builder getting ready
to head west from Columbus, Wisconsin
(I won’t be on it ... for now)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background: Train Travel is Enjoyable and Relaxing

Trains may be the most enjoyable way to travel. Train travel is a great way to connect with people, places and the history of the country. ...