Blog Archive

Friday, May 17, 2019

Background: My Career with Amtrak

I worked as a dining car waiter on Amtrak in the summer of 1975, based out of the Chicago crew base. I was looking for a summer job after my first year of law school and a classmate whose husband was a steward on the dining cars told me that Amtrak hired workers every summer. I was on the "extra board," which meant that I didn't have a regular run but was assigned to whatever run needed additional staff at a given time.

It was a great job. I got to see the country and meet lots of interesting crew members and passengers, and I learned a lot. I went on most of the runs radiating from Chicago, going to Seattle, Denver and Los Angeles in the west, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit, and Cincinnati in the Midwest, New York (on the Broadway Limited) and Washington in the east, and New Orleans and Houston to the south.  

I don’t have any readily available photos of myself from 1975, so I’ll use a few photos of current Amtrak employees. 


Jackie, dining car attendant
on the Sunset Limited
Attendants on cafe car on Amtrak Cascades
Conductor on Pacific Surfliner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background: Train Travel is Enjoyable and Relaxing

Trains may be the most enjoyable way to travel. Train travel is a great way to connect with people, places and the history of the country. ...